To all staff and students:
Many thanks for your support to our works, the Working Group on Energy Conservation and Sustainability is pleased to let you know that as a result of growing green awareness on campus among staff and students, a meaningful saving of energy cost for 2015/16 was recorded (as compared to that of 2014/15) upon implementation of the energy saving measures and a series of green campaign. It is encouraging to have recorded a decrease in energy cost in spite of:
- Increase in staff and student population by about 480 for 2015/16 vs. 2014/15;
- Increase in use of facilities: 24-hour study areas, labs, student rooms and teaching & learning facilities; and
- Increase of energy use due to more frequent sport team training sessions and competitions.
To pick up the momentum, the Working Group with support from various administrative offices would introduce the following initiatives in 2016/17:
- To organise Charity Bazaar on campus in February 2017 by Green Society and Barter Event in the end of May 2017 by Residential Colleges.
- To sign up Earth Hour 2017 and become one of the pledged schools
Stay tuned for announcements by respective offices and student organisations.
Dr Tom Fong
Chairman, Working Group on Energy Conservation and Sustainability
Acting Vice-President (Organisational Development)